Monday, October 21, 2013

Summary, Dissection, and a Bit Extra

When I last posted, I had just begun reading The Hound of the Baskervilles. Since then I have read several more short stories: A Case of Identity, A Scandal in Bohemia, and The Adventure of the Red-headed League to name a few. Rather than spend twenty minutes summarizing all of these, I will focus on my continued reading of the full-length story, The Hound of the Baskervilles. Starting from where I left off, Sir Henry Baskerville has lost a boot. Several boots to be exact. It is unclear what role the missing boots will play in the future, but what is clear is that we can expect great things from the boots. After all, footwear in the past did great things. Terrible! Oh yes, but great. Additionally, Holmes volunteered Watson to accompany Baskerville back home, so that happened. Keep this page bookmarked because in another one to three weeks I may post an update.

Now on to the second part of the post. You know, the completely voluntary and in no way required part. Well as I was saying, this time I will be dissecting the, "emotional journey of a round character in my novel". I should clarify, this previous use of quotations in no way references someone's telling me what to write about, that's just how I, "talk". You wouldn't know because you've never spoken to me; you've only read my thoughts written out. Unless you have spoken to me. But even then can you really be sure? Perhaps you've just never noticed. Perhaps you've just never noticed a lot of things. Perhaps the people you thought you knew, you never knew at all; and the people you didn't know, never really existed. This has been Food For Thought, a new, third segment I am introducing effective immediately. It will continue to be included in these posts until a time I no longer think it necessary, or until I forget.

And now, you're regularly scheduled post:

Doctor John Watson has undergone quite a trek these last few stories. When he first met Holmes, the good doctor was an out-of-work vet, looking for a place to live. Now he is married with his own practice as well as the continued side-business of aiding his friend in solving crimes. But do these physical changes in circumstance equate to equally radical changes in emotion, or do they simply present the facade of change while allowing the person to remain emotionally stagnant? While it always depends on the character, in this instance I believe the first position to be more accurate. Doctor Watson has grown over the course of his time spent with Holmes. He has become more open, more observant, and more caring. And while these changes might have occurred without Holmes' intervention, they most certainly would not have had the same effect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment